It’s an old question, but a good one . . . What were your favorite books this year?
List as many as you like … fiction, non-fiction, mystery, romance, science-fiction, business, travel, cookbooks … whatever the category. But, really, we’re all dying to know. What books were the highlight of your reading year in 2007?
I already wrote some thoughts about books published in 2007. Here are some thoughts about the rest of the highlights of the year. (Links are to my reviews.)
- Favorite "I can't believe I'd never heard of this book before this year" book: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
- Favorite classic: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
(Winter Wheat by Mildred Walker is a close second.)
- Favorite non-fiction book: Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs by Ken Jennings
- Favorite long book: The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (It's over 600 pages!)
- Favorite new-to-me author: Jodi Picoult (I read nine of her books this year - and will try to squeeze one more in by December 31! Those reviews are here.)
- Favorite book and movie duo: The Freedom Writer's Diary by The Freedom Writers with Erin Gruwell
- Favorite books to share with my daughters: Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
- Favorite book I just stumbled upon: Replay by Ken Grimwood
- Favorite thought-provoking read: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
- Favorite re-read: Small Change: The Secret Life of Penny Burford by J. Belinda Yandell
- Best good-bye to a favorite friend: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling