Friday, March 16, 2007

The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

Published in 2003. 519 pages.


This is number 60 on the 100 Books! meme - a book I hadn't yet read but wanted to, so I decided that I'd just do it.

I loved this book! The whole concept of time travel and the time-space continuum is intriguing to me - for example in Michael Crichton's Timeline, Connie Willis' Doomsday Book, the Back to the Future trilogy, several of my favorite episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves in The Lake House - and this is another great exploration of that idea.

Scott Turow had this to say:

To those who say there are no new love stories, I heartily recommend The Time Traveler's Wife, an enchanting novel, which is beautifully crafted and as dazzlingly imaginative as it is dizzyingly romantic.

Here are some discussion questions.

2007.18

5 comments:

  1. I _loved_ this book. I read it and wished two things:
    1) I had written such a beautiful and smart book
    2) I could go back in time and know my husband as a young man.

    The concept also reminds me of Diana Gabaldon's series where the protag time travels. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too. It's one of my favorite books. Wouldnt it be great to time travel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book several years ago. I thought that there were a couple of scenes that could have been left out or made a little more "PG-13". I made the mistake of getting a copy for my mother-in-law when I picked up my copy. You tend to read things in a different light when you know you gave the book to your mother-in-law to read. Yikes! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this book. I read it last summer on my vacation in San Diego. I thought it was achingly beautiful (and a little weird). I need to read it again! But, first, I have to finish "Founding Brothers."

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Matt from Regal Literary.

    If you enjoyed TTW, you might be interested in knowing that Regal Literary is giving away ten advanced reader's copies and three first edition hardcovers of the new Audrey Niffenegger book, Her Fearful Symmetry, on October 1st in a lottery to anyone who joins the facebook page as a fan and sends an e-mail to hfs@regal-literary.com. Good luck!

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Her-Fearful-Symmetry/68080996784

    ReplyDelete