Friday, July 20, 2007

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

Published in 2006. 563 pages.


After finishing this second teen vampire novel by Stephenie Meyer, I'm still completely enamoured of her writing - and of her character Edward Cullen!

Both of my daughters read New Moon before I did, and Jelly Bean especially is obsessed with this series. She heartily recommends the Twilight Lexicon website to find out more. (By the way, School Library Journal labeled New Moon as "Grade 9 Up". Sugar Plum, who is in sixth grade, is a fantastic reader, so the reading level wasn't beyond her ability. I didn't find any of the content inappropriate for her either.)

I'd promised my daughters that as soon as I finished New Moon, I'd take them out to lunch and we'd have a Read Together book discussion. Knowing that I had a day off work today and that Sugar Bear would be at Kidz Kamp this afternoon, I'd been trying all week to get the book finished. I finally read the last of it this morning, and we went to Food for Thought for lunch and had a great discussion! I asked each of the girls to come up with two or three discussion questions, and they did a great job.

This sequel to Twilight picks up right after Twilight ends, and I'm anticipating that Eclipse, due out next month, will continue where New Moon ended. I love the characters of this series, and while I am not aware of the existence of any vampires in my life, the story lines seem plausible nonetheless. I was on the verge of tears at several points in New Moon as I struggled along with Bella about her feelings for Edward and for Jacob.

I do think I liked Twilight better than New Moon, but I whole-heartedly recommend this series! All three of us - mother, 16yo daughter, and 11yo daughter - are great fans of Stephenie Meyer!

2007.39

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when you can share a love of certain books with your kids? My family has several books and series like that, and it makes it so much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I really like the cover art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to have a lunchy book discussion.

    I really need to read some Stephanie Meyer sometime.

    Thanks for posting this great review of the whole process and the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked and we have 58 holds on Eclipse already! Guess I'd better order more than the 11 that are already on order. My assistant asked the other day, in the way that only a book-lover can, WHEN we were getting the next one in the series?!! I had to meekly reply that it wasn't published yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great thing to be able to share with your kids. Books are such a wonderful hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you through Melody's Reading Corner. I love a Stephenie Meyer fan, so I had to comment. I am thrilled that you and your daughters have enjoyed the series so much. I, too, am a huge fan, although I'll go w/ your daughters... I'm a Jake-lover all the way. Have you read Eclipse yet? Spectacular book! Stephenie does not disappoint! Enjoy! =)

    ReplyDelete