Sunday, October 10, 2010

Read-a-Thon End-of-Event Survey



I ended up bailing from the read-a-thon with just over two hours to go. I know I could have forced myself to stay awake, but I also know that, given my commitments for this afternoon, today would have been miserable for me if I hadn't gotten some sleep. So I opted for a better day today! (I'm still going to need to go to bed early tonight.)

Here is my end-of-event survey:

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?

Besides the end of Hour 22, when I decided to call it good, the hardest hour was Hour 16, when I just couldn't keep sitting any longer.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?

In general, I think young adult novels are the best read-a-thon picks.

One thing I did this time that I've never done before was listen to an audiobook while just sitting on the sofa. I've used audiobooks when I've had to drive somewhere during the read-a-thon or when I've wanted to get some chores done. This time I started an audiobook for those two purposes - but then I decided to just keep listening. I followed the Twitter feed some while listening, and I also instant messaged with a friend and played some word games while I listened. My tired brain definitely benefited from the change of approach for several hours.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?


This was my seventh time to participate in the Read-a-thon, and I thought it was great!

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?


I had a lot of visits from cheerleaders this year. They were truly terrific!

5. How many books did you read?

Two - plus part of two others.

6. What were the names of the books you read?

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson. Fly On the Wall by E. Lockhart. Part of Any Bitter Thing by Monica Wood. Part of The Declaration by Gemma Malley.

7. Which book did you enjoy most?

13 Little Blue Envelopes was my first Maureen Johnson book; I'm sure I'll be reading more from her in the future.

8. Which did you enjoy least?

There were parts of Fly On the Wall that I really liked, but there were also parts that I really didn't.

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?

Not applicable.

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?

If at all possible, I will participate in the next read-a-thon! This is one of the few things I do that is just for me. I'd like to be a reader again.

5 comments:

  1. I missed this round of read-a-thon again. I was home visiting my family so the timing wasn't right. You did good with that two books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know how you do it...truly a marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seven readathons? Wow! And you didn't fall asleep while just sitting and listening to a book? I would have for sure. Way to go for lasting nearly the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting to hour 22 is amazing! I'll have to try the audio while not doing anything. I think I would go nuts, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your endurance in the Read-a-thon is so inspiring, and I especially appreciate that you took some time to stop by my own blog and leave a comment of encouragement! It was so appreciated and really did help take me through the night. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete