It's taken me several days to get back here. Here is my end-of-event survey:
1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
About midnight my time (elapsed time 18:00), I was really struggling. I didn't feel particularly well, and I wondered if I was going to be able to go on. But I pushed through - and I made it until about 4:30 a.m. my time (elapsed time 22:30). At that point, I just couldn't stay awake any longer, and that was the end of my participation.
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
I focused on YA novels this year, and I think that that is a good approach.
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
This was my fourth time to participate in Read-a-thon, and I just love it! One thing I wonder is how the experience would be for me if the time frame was shifted so that I started to read in the evening rather than early in the morning.
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
The Twitter feed was a fun addition this year.
5. How many books did you read?
Three completed and parts of two more.
6. What were the names of the books you read?
The three I completed are Hot Lunch (a YA novel), I, Coriander (a children's novel), and Pigboy (a YA novel). I also read quite a bit of Lucky (a memoir by Alice Sebold), and I started Rapunzel's Revenge (a YA graphic novel). (By the way, since Sunday morning I've finished both Rapunzel's Revenge and Lucky.)
7. Which book did you enjoy most?
I enjoyed them all. The biggest surprise, perhaps, was Hot Lunch, which I liked more than I had even expected.
8. Which did you enjoy least?
9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
If at all possible, I will participate in the next read-a-thon! I'd like to be a reader again - but if my schedule is too busy, then I'll be a cheerleader (or some other type of helper).
The Things We Carry
1 week ago