Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Twenty-Two Days and Counting ...

It's been twenty-two days since I last posted here. I have been reading - at least a little - but with my various travels this month and trying to put in some time at the office between trips, as well as having the kids out of school for the summer, I just haven't found as much time to read and blog about books as I would like. Embarrassingly, this reading/blogging dearth comes at a time when my friend Sue has just subscribed to my book blog and actually posted about it!

For the record, I have been schlepping a number of books around with me in my suitcase and my computer bag. Eat, Pray, Love was the discussion book for the women's retreat I attended at the beginning of the month. I hadn't read before the retreat started, but I did read some of it there (and enjoyed the discussion) - and I read some more of it in Montreal and in San Diego. I'm still working on it.

On my flight to Montreal I read part of Dark Assassin by Anne Perry, and I finished it last week - between trips. Earlier this month I read Dead Time by Stephen White. (I'll get brief reviews of both of those thrillers posted soon.)

Two other books I took to Montreal were 1984, which was this month's pick for my IRL book club, and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is this month's pick - unless it was last month's and I'm even further behind than I thought - for the goodreads YA Book Club. I didn't get to either of those - but they are still on my to-read list (or, in the case of 1984, my to-re-read list).

I made a good deal of progress on The Devil in the White City in San Diego yesterday, some of it on the beach and some of it on the plane. I'm behind schedule for this Book Buddies pick - but I'm hopeful I'll finish it before the month is over.

I need to write a wrap-up post for the Spring Reading Thing, now that is is summer, and I've got the Books Awards Reading Challenge to finish up by June 30 too.

I think I'm off to bed to read a little before I fall asleep. I hope I'll be back for more book blogging tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Hope you're enjoying Devil... I read it about six months ago and LOVED it. If you like it, you might also like The Suspicions of Mr. Which, by Kate Summerscale, about a murder in Victorian England. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, welcome back! Just wanted to remind you that the 24 Hour Readathon is fast approaching--this Saturday--hope to see you join in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lezlie: thanks!

    katherine: i am enjoying The Devil in the White City very much. i'll add The Suspicions of Mr. Which to my to-read list. have you read any of Anne Perry's Victorian mysteries?

    becky: i haven't forgotten. my hope is that i can get enough work done tomorrow (thursday) that i can catch up on sleep on friday and then join in the readathon on saturday! i really want to read The Host with "Becky's Online Reading Group" in July too!

    ReplyDelete