Saturday, November 10, 2012

Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead

Published in 2012 by Wendy Lamb Books. 192 pages.


I absolutely loved this children's novel by the 2010 Newbery Award-winning author of When You Reach Me!

It's about bullying and about being afraid. It's about family and about friendship.

With a feel similar to Ellen Potter's Slob (which was one of my favorite reads of 2010), Liar & Spy is part coming-of-age story and part mystery, and it reminded me a bit of Harriet the Spy, a favorite from my childhood. I highly recommend Liar & Spy both for middle grade readers and for grown-ups who care about middle graders.

Lucinda Rosenfeld reviewed Liar & Spy for The New York Times here. Rebecca Stead's website has additional information about the book here. Other book bloggers who have reviewed Liar & Spy include the following:

2012.64

1 comment:

  1. I read this last week and loved it! I liked getting to know the characters a little at a time as the story progressed. I thought the story was interesting and important to tell. I liked it better than "When You Reach Me."

    ReplyDelete