Friday, October 16, 2009

When You Reach Me
by Rebecca Stead

Published in 2009. 197 pages.


One of the most unique children's books I've ever read, When You Reach Me is required reading for time travel aficionados, fans (of all ages) of Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, and grown-ups who loved Harriet the Spy, The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, and The Westing Game as young girls. (I belong to each of those categories.) It's also great for those - unlike me - who see the late 1970s as "history."

Rebecca Stead's website is here. Her previous book is First Light.

Other book bloggers' reviews of When You Reach Me:
If you have read and reviewed this book, I would love to link your review here. Please leave me a comment or email me your link!


2009.64

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this. The fact that it is so different gave it extra points in my eyes. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a really great book - so unique and unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the introduction to this author. I love her website and the book sounds wonderful. I'll suggest it to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have to read this one, it seems to be getting a lot of good feedback. I'm a bit concerned it might be too unique for me, though. Although I'm a Harriet the Spy girl, so that's good! I cannot *believe* this trend of the 70's and 80's coming out as historical fiction - so depressing! :)

    ReplyDelete