Saturday, June 25, 2011

Spring Reading Thing 2011
Wrapping It Up



I had a list of twenty-one books I hoped to read (or finish reading) during the thirteen weeks of Spring Reading Thing 2011. In the end, I read nine of the books on my list:
  • Code Orange by Caroline B. Cooney

  • Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly

  • The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

  • Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

  • No Going Back by Jonathan Langford

  • The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

  • Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

  • The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar

  • What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

In addition, I read 15 books that weren't on my list:
  • 3 Willows: The Sisterhood Grows by Ann Brashares

  • The Art of Keeping Cool by Janet Taylor Lisle

  • Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

  • Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

  • Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

  • Dramarama by E. Lockhart

  • Everlost by Neal Shusterman

  • The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

  • The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

  • Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

  • One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus

  • Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

  • The Way He Lived by Emily Wing Smith

  • Wrong Number by Rachelle Christensen

  • Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty
    by G. Neri

While I'm not surprised that I didn't finish my list, I am surprised that I read so many books that weren't on my list. Four of those were for books groups, and six of them (with one of those a book club pick) were audiobooks I "read" during my commute. Among the other six were some new releases that came available at the library as well as some books that had been on my to-read list for a while.

I have to admit that I'm not particularly good at pre-arranged reading. I'm more of an impulse or mood reader. I do like making reading lists, though, so if nothing else, that part of a reading challenge is fun for me. I'm happy to see that I did read an eclectic assortment, even if - as is typical of me - somewhat heavy on young adult novels.

My favorite read of the challenge was The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which I reviewed here. I highly recommend that everyone read this unique children's book!

I didn't read anything that I'd give less than three stars (out of five), but two of the others that I'd readily recommend are the 2011 Newbery Award winner Moon Over Manifest and The Space Between Us.

A big thank you to Katrina at Callapidder Days for continuing to host this challenge! Happy summer reading to everyone!

5 comments:

  1. I just can't believe how many books you can read ... you're amazing! How's Frankenstein coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly: I downloaded Frankenstein to my Kindle, and I'm about 7% into it. Hopefully I'll make some good progress this coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Alison! Way to go! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, that's a huge amount for the time given!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job!! I am like you and I tend to be a "mood-reader" yet, also like you, I love to think of lists and plan a bit. I just like giving myself the permission to read what I want when I want!! I'm such a rebel that way ;)

    How did you like Code Orange? It was a book group read for us a few years back. I also noticed a few others that I've read too. One Thousand White Women was one that has stayed with me for awhile as well.

    I enjoyed seeing some titles that I haven't read yet. Now I can add them to an ever-growing list of new books to try.

    I hope you are enjoying your summer. I AM!!

    ReplyDelete