Sunday, December 26, 2010

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice
by Phillip M. Hoose

Published in 2009. 133 pages (including Author's Note, Bibliography, Notes, and Index).


Claudette Colvin received the 2009 National Book Award for Young People's Literature and was also designated a Newbery Honor Book in 2010.

Phillip Hoose wrote in the "Author's Note" at the end of the book:

More than any other story I know, Claudette Colvin's life story shows how history is made up of objective facts and personal truths, braided together. In her case, a girl raised in poverty by a strong, loving family twice risked her life to gain a measure of justice for her people. Hers is the story of a wise and brave woman who, when she was a smart, angry teenager in Jim Crow Alabama, made contributions to human rights far too important to be forgotten.

Like Chris Crowe's Getting Away with Murder, this is a good introduction to a lesser-known aspect of the Civil Rights Movement. Claudette Colvin was a very brave young woman!

2010.72

2 comments:

  1. So here's another part of history that I need/want to learn about! I put the audio version on hold at my library - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I didn't mark down who recommended this book, but when I updated my Goodreads account I noticed that YOU had read it. So ... here I am and obviously it was your review that brought it to my attention. It was very good. Thanks!

    I'm off to update my post. :)

    ReplyDelete