Saturday, October 02, 2010

Thinking about Banned Books

Banned Books Week
September 25 - October 2

10 Frequently-Challenged Books
Everyone Should Read

(Two on this list are all-time favorites of mine:
The Giver and To Kill a Mockingbird.)

Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books: 2000-2009
(I've reviewed a few of these on this blog:
The Chocolate War, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,
Bridge to Terabithia, and Speak. Many of the others I read in my pre-blogging days, and yet others are on my to-read list. What's your favorite banned or challenged book?)

The Banned Books Project
(A reading project started by Bonnie
in honor of Banned Books Week 2007.)

Three posts for Banned Books Week
that I particularly liked:


Sydney Salter at My Big Nose and Other Natural Disasters
"Stories about tough subjects show kids that they aren't alone in their experiences. Stories show a way out, a solution, new possibilities, and sometimes they simply provide an escape. As Chris Crutcher says, 'Censorship works against kids who don't have much anyway.'"

Sara Zarr
"We either have intellectual freedom or we don’t."

Karen Krueger at Typing with My Toes
"Banning Stove Top Stuffing and Books"

Celebrate Your Freedom to Read!

1 comment:

  1. I have really enjoyed "The Giver" and "To Kill a Mockingbird". I'm glad these two books are your favorite!

    ReplyDelete