Monday, September 06, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson
by John Green and David Levithan

Published in 2010. 310 pages.


First line from Will Grayson (upper case): When I was little, my dad used to tell me, "Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose."

First line from will grayson (lower case): i am constantly torn between killing myself and killing everyone around me.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a collaboration between John Green, who wrote the odd-numbered chapters from the viewpoint of Will Grayson (upper case), and David Levithan, who wrote the even-numbered chapters from the viewpoint of will grayson (lower case).

I've only read one other book from each of these writers - John Green's An Abundance of Katherines and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan - but I really loved both of those. When I heard about this collaborative effort, I knew that I had to read it!

From John Green's website:

Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them legions of faithful fans.

From the first page, I adored this book! I laughed, and I cried. I cringed, and I cheered. The overall concept - as well as every character, every scene, every word - was perfectly conceived and executed. Will Grayson, Will Grayson is simply amazing!

Note: The language and some discussions of sexuality are definitely R-rated.

2010.49

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's quite some praise! I didn't have any feelings either way when I saw this book for the first time, but you have definitely encouraged me to check it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alison!
    So glad you enjoyed this one. I've had it on my "Hmm..should I read this one?" radar for a while and I DID see that my library has it. I think I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've become a big John Green fan over the past year or so. This one - honestly, I didn't always quite know what to make of it, but I still thought it was a pretty amazing book and I loved the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a little nervous of this book, though I love John Green. Good to hear you loved it. I will get over being nervous and just read it already!

    ReplyDelete