Friday, September 17, 2010

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
by Jonathan Safran Foer

Published in 2005. 356 pages.


I would not have ever read this book if it hadn't been September's pick for the "book lunch girls." I'd seen it around - but because I was put off by the cover, I wasn't interested enough to even find out the subject. This is part of the description on goodreads:

Meet Oskar Schell, an inventor, Francophile, tambourine player, Shakespearean actor, jeweler, and pacifist. He is nine years old. And he is on an urgent, secret search through the five boroughs of New York. His mission is to find the lock that fits a mysterious key belonging to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on 9/11.

Unique and compelling, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was the perfect read for the weekend of the ninth anniversary of 9/11. I found it to be sad as well as healing.

In some ways, this book reminded me of Slob. It also made me think of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.

Here is Tricia's enthusiastic review at Library Queue. Melissa at Book Nut was somewhat indifferent in her review.

A friend told me that she'd heard that a movie was going to be made of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close with Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock. Here is the IMDb entry. It will be interesting to see how the book transfers to the screen.

2010.56

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like an interesting read. I wonder if the found that lock.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. naida: You'll have to read it and find out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to read something by him ever since seeing the movie Everything is Illuminated based on his book by the same name. As you know, so many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was put off by the cover as well, but I finally relented and put the audiobook on my iPod. I haven't listened to it yet, but I'm really happy to see that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nine-year-old protagonist? I like the sound of this one. Thanks for highlighting it, Alison!

    ReplyDelete