Saturday, April 10, 2010

Introduction Meme


The first mini-challenge of the read-a-thon is an Introduction Meme, created by Darcie a few read-a-thons ago. Here goes:

Where are you reading from today?
For the most part, I'll be sitting on the love seat in my family room, with my feet on the ottoman and my laptop computer nearby.

Three facts about me:

  • My professional life is all about numbers - I'm an accountant - but I really love words - reading them, writing them, and playing with them.

  • I also love Diet Coke with Lime, Mexican food, and chocolate - all of which I intend to consume in the course of the read-a-thon.

  • I'm addicted to Facebook and goodreads, and I also enjoy Twitter. You can follow my Tweets here.
How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
I have done almost no planning for the read-a-thon this time around. I'm going to start with the book I've been reading this week - Nocturne by Harrison Gradwell Slater - and then go from there. Of course, with the piles of books that exist around my house, I'm going to have no problem finding reading material.

Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (e.g., number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?
I've been under a lot of stress at work for the last several months, and I'm way behind on the reading I have planned for 2010, as well as the blogging I want to do about my reading. This past week has been totally packed with work as well as some enjoyable family time, so I'm also behind on some of my household responsibilities as well as totally unprepared for the read-a-thon in terms of book lists, food plans, and blogging templates.

In the past I've wanted to read as many hours of the read-a-thon as I possibly could, but this time I'm thinking that some R&R is the primary goal. If I can read for eight hours and blog for eight hours, and then sleep and/or catch up on some laundry/dishes/office work in the remaining eight hours, I'll be a happy read-a-thon-er.

Any advice for people doing this for the first time?
This is my sixth read-a-thon, and I recommend that no one worry about doing everything. Just do what seems like fun and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Mexican food...yum! Good luck with the readathon! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! Good luck today with your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a fun day! I will be leaving in 6 hours for the Reflections marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your book now.
    Don't forget to rest your eyes.
    Look to next novel.

    Haiku #1 inspired by Dawn @ She Is Too Fond of Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison, I hope you've had a restful day -- and some fun as well.

    Beth, another haiku, I see! It's fantastic that you are spreading them around.

    ReplyDelete