Friday, September 25, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Published in 2008. 312 pages.
With illustrations by Dave McKean.
2009 Newbery Medal.
2009 Hugo Award for Best Novel.
2008 Cybils Winner.


I adored this Newbery Award winner! I will admit I was a little worried that it would be too "creepy" for my taste - but I was hooked from the first page. The following quote from the Newbery website sums it up well:

A delicious mix of murder, fantasy, humor and human longing, the tale of Nobody Owens is told in magical, haunting prose. A child marked for death by an ancient league of assassins escapes into an abandoned graveyard, where he is reared and protected by its spirit denizens.

2009.58

7 comments:

  1. I have this book for one of my challenges this year. I'm glaf you enjoyed it. I can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your review. I have Coraline on my list, and want to read asap! This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book for Fall into Reading too and really liked it! I had heard so many happy/cute things about it that the opening threw me off for a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read this one, I've heard such great things about it! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It also won the 2009 Cybil for fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one's on my list to read next year! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete