Saturday, September 19, 2009

Execution Dock by Anne Perry

Published in 2009. 306 pages.


Execution Dock is the sixteenth novel in Anne Perry's historical mystery series featuring William Monk and Hester Latterly. I am a big fan of this series, and this episode did not disappoint.

One of the things I like about Perry's work is her use of words. Here are two passages from Execution Dock that I particularly liked:

He must never let Tremayne see any weakness. Tremayne might look like a dandy, a poet and dreamer caught by chance in the wrong place, but it was an illusion. His mind was keen as a razor, and he would scent weakness as a shark scents blood in the water. [page 35]

All the love in the world did not blind Scuff to the reality that they could fail again. He was a child with hope, optimism, and a lifetime's knowledge of failure behind him. The difference between surviving and not was wafer-thin. [page 296]


2009.57

3 comments:

  1. I love this series, too. I've only listened to a few but always thought I'd read them in order someday. Actually, I did read the first one and it shed so much light on the others I'd read.

    Have you read Perry's WWI series? It's one of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The WWI series are just as wonderful a read as the Monk and Pitt series. Anne's words let you walk right into the story and live with the characters. Finding an Anne Perry I haven't read yet always make a day better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these days I'm going to have to give the WWI series a try!

    ReplyDelete