Now that we're halfway through, we have a survey to complete:
1. What are you reading right now?
I've been working on I, Coriander, a children's book that is this month's pick for my book club.
2. How many books have you read so far?
I have only finished one - the YA novel Hot Lunch by Alex Bradley. I've also read about half of Alice Sebold's memoir, Lucky (which I had started prior to the read-a-thon).
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
A quick and easy read for the second half - as I get more and more sleepy - is the graphic novel Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale, and Nathan Hale. I'm also thinking that Laurie Halse Anderson's latest YA novel, Wintergirls will be a compelling read - one that will keep me awake. (My 13yo daughter, who read it today, warns me that it might make me cry a whole bunch, though.)
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day?
Fortunately, I didn't have any major commitments already on the calendar when I found out about the read-a-thon. I did beg off an assignment at work - but other people can cover that. I also told my son, who turns 10 next week, that we couldn't have his birthday party today, so it'll be next Saturday.
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
My entire family has been in and out of the house all day. But mostly I've just kept muddling through - gently reminding them that today is my read-a-thon.
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
It really has flown by - at least this first half.
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
This is my fourth time participating in the read-a-thon. I thought it was fabulous the first time, and it's just getting better and better.
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year?
Last time I said that I'd go to bed earlier the night before. I tried to do that last night - but only with limited success.
9. Are you getting tired yet?
I am a bit sleepy. I keep getting up and walking around the house, and then I find another snack to eat.
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered?
I decided to focus mostly on children's and YA books this time, and I think that's a good approach.
Rescued Relics in LaPorte, CO
4 days ago