Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Rhyming Season by Edward Averett

Published in 2005. 214 pages.


I didn't fall in love with this one immediately. I'm still not sure how I feel about a few aspects of the story. But I did enjoy this 2007-2008 Beehive Award Nominee in Young Adults' Books.

The premise - mixing poetry with basketball - was a fun one, definitely unique.

Brenda Jacobsen's voice reminded me a little of D.J.'s in the fabulous Dairy Queen.

There wasn't anything the least bit objectionable - no profanity, no depictions of sex, and when the team goes out to the forest to hang out, they share a Pepsi, not beer. While I know that profanity, sex, and alcohol are reality among some groups of teens, I also know that the lack thereof is reality for others - and I was happy to see that possibility portrayed in a contemporary YA novel.

In the end, I just can't resist a good girls' basketball story!

2009.1

No comments:

Post a Comment