Monday, June 02, 2008

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Published in 2006. 274 pages.

Paperback Cover

Hardback Cover


First line: This whole enormous deal wouldn't have happened, none of it, if Dad hadn't messed up his hip moving the manure spreader.

Last line: Maybe Curtis should try flunking English.

Why I read this book: I chose Dairy Queen for the Triple 8 Challenge in my "Bee Bonanza" category - picks from the nominees for the 2008 Beehive Awards. I also chose it to celebrate Dairy Month, which is June, for the Every Month is a Holiday Challenge.

Basic concept: A coming-of-age story of a sixteen-year-old dairy farmer and her relationship with her family, all of whom love football, and with the quarterback of a rival football team.

Why I loved this book:
One of the blurbs on the back cover of the sequel The Off Season says it well:
"D.J. Schwenk is a real, true-to-life heroine ... full of self-doubt, yet incredibly determined and brave. Plus, she's funny. Her voice just dragged me in and didn't let go. I loved this book."
- E. Lockhart, author of The Boyfriend List and Fly on the Wall

I found it impossible not to like D.J.! Additionally, the secondary characters are well-developed, and the whole story just rings true. The chapters have fun titles too, such as "People Who Are Crazy and Need to Have Their Heads Examined" and "Who Ever Said Love Was Fun?"

What else you might want to know:
The sequel to Dairy Queen is The Off Season - which I started reading immediately after finishing Dairy Queen. (My review of The Off Season is here.) Catherine Gilbert Murdock's website is here. I'm whole-heartedly recommending this book to my seventeen-year-old daughter.

Other book bloggers' reviews of Dairy Queen:

If you have read and reviewed this book, I would love to link your review here. Please leave me a comment or email me your link!

2008.33

4 comments:

  1. Okay - the paperback cover works for me, but the hardcover - I'd walk right by. HOWEVER, your review has intrigued me regarding both this one and the sequel. I think I'll add them on my TBR list. Thanks, Alison! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm weird but i'd be more likely to pick up the hard cover. The picture makes me laugh.

    I'll have to try this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are 2 of my fave, fave YA books of the past few years! I love the cow cover, that's what first caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw both of these books just sitting on the library shelf after first reading y our reviews and I snatched them right up. They look great!
    *smiles*
    Kim

    ReplyDelete