Friday, December 19, 2008

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Published in 2001. 374 pages.
2003 Alex Award.


Filled with clever wordplay, literary allusion and bibliowit, The Eyre Affair combines elements of Monty Python, Harry Potter, Stephen Hawking and Butty the Vampire Slayer. But its quirky charm is all its own.
          - The Wall Street Journal

I'm definitely going to continue reading this series. I'm also having some fun at Jasper Fforde's quirky website.

Other book bloggers' reviews of The Eyre Affair: If you have read and reviewed this book, I would love to link your review here. Please leave me a comment or email me your link!

2008.66

8 comments:

  1. I read the first couple of books in this series and really enjoyed them. You've inspired me to finish the rest of them one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this series!! I haven't read the newest one but its definitely on my list. They keep getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this series. I read The Eyre Affair while on jury duty a few years ago, and practically finished the book in one day.

    I just read the fifth book and posted a review on my blog yesterday. Glad you have discovered this series - and Fforde's website is quite the time suck (in a good way)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited--I have this right now from the library. I hope I get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lurve me this series. I haven't reviewed Eyre Affair, but I have reviewed Lost in a Good Book and Well of Lost Plots. I need to get my review up for Something Rotten and will likely read First Among Sequels over the next couple weeks. (Fforde is, oddly enough, somewhat of a holiday read for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy this series! So clever and funny!

    BTW, I received The Spanish Bow this week! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big fan of his Nursery Crimes books. These look great, too!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this series! I love the way Fforde plunders characters from well-loved books and make a coherent story out of them. Plus, I get to learn about the whole Jane Eyre thing, a classic which I haven't read, oops!

    The succeeding books are great as well but I think I stopped at the fourth one. The fifth book is sitting impatiently at my shelves and probably smirking at me for not picking it up. Yet.

    I also read the two Nursery Crimes books. I loved the second one more than the first but some of the characters are familiar to Thursday Next readers. I mean of course not the literary ones.

    ReplyDelete