Saturday, August 30, 2008

1776 by David McCullough

Originally published in 2005.
Abridged audio book read by the author.


I frequently will listen to an audio book on and off during my commuting time. 1776 was going to be a pick for my church women's group book club (although we ended up not having a meeting that month to discuss it), and my mom had given my husband the abridged audio book for Christmas a couple of years ago, so I decided I'd try "reading" it that way.

With a chaotic work schedule in July, it look me into August to get through the whole book. But McCullough has a pleasant voice, and I enjoyed learning more about this important year in American history. Being a visual learner, I probably would have comprehended the "big picture" of the year better if I'd actually read the book. I obviously missed a good amount of information as well - since this abridgement has five CDs, while the unabridged version has 10 - but I'm glad that I've finally "read" this popular book of American history.

Other book bloggers' reviews of 1776:
If you have read and reviewed this book, I would love to link your review here. Please leave me a comment or email me your link!

2008.46

5 comments:

  1. Hi, the winner of the last contest in the history challenge never changed the contest so I had to draw names again & you one. Please email me your address & I will get Perfume in the mail to you this week. justanothermusting at yahoo dot com Thanks for joing the challenge I hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wondered about this book. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shannon: i must have your email address wrong, because the message i sent came back to me.

    holly: i think you might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this in the beginning of 2006 with a book group (thankfully, because I don't think I would have been able to get through it) and surprisingly enough really enjoyed it. My husband and I were talking about it just the other day - he's interested in it. Then we looked into McCullough's other books and plan on reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard his biography on John Adams is worth the read although I haven't gotten around to that or this yet. I'd like to, though--and I'm glad you hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete