Monday, March 24, 2008

The First Patient by Michael Palmer

Published in 2008. 371 pages.


I am a fan of Michael Palmer, and I think I've read everything he's written. The First Patient is his latest novel, one which I think is not only a medical thriller - which I would expect from Palmer - but also a political thriller. The front cover of the copy I borrowed from the library includes a quote from President Bill Clinton:

An exciting thriller ... full of surprises; captures the intense atmosphere of the White House.

This isn't my favorite of Palmer's books, but although the writing seemed a bit choppy in places (which a good editor should have corrected), the plot was gripping, with enough twists and turns to keep me turning the pages. The protagonist - Gabe Singleton, longtime friend and now personal physician to the POTUS (President of the United States) - is likable yet flawed. Providing support to Singleton - and the possibility of a little romance - is Alison Cromartie, a medically-trained Secret Service agent. (I always love to read about an "Alison"!)

2008.21

8 comments:

  1. And Alison Cromartie spells her name correctly!

    Did I ever mention that I have a daughter named Alyson? What were we thinking putting that 'y' in there? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I havent' read a Michael Palmer book in a while. Not sure why, because I've always loved them! Might just have to pick this one up. Thanks, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear So Many Books: I hope you will have some time to consider my own attempt at a thriller. My new novel, HUNTING THE KING, is coming out next week. I'm sure you know the routine. Publishers don't spend a lot of time on promotion, so authors, particularly first-timers, have to pick up the ball as best they can. HUNTING has received very good reviews, so I hope you will consider it when time allows. Here are the details:

    HUNTING THE KING is a fast-paced page-turner that follows archaeologist Molly O'Dwyer into war torn Iraq in search of the remains of Jesus. ForeWord Magazine says: "Fans of intellectual thrillers and historical fiction will find a worthy new voice in Clenott. His best invention may be Molly O’Dwyer, a genuinely likeable heroine who more than holds her own in a man’s world. An ambitious scientist, she is also an observant Catholic whose heart and mind don’t always agree. Given such an auspicious start, the sequel can't come too soon."

    While the book isn't available until April, you can find it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kunati Books and other googleable sites. You won't be disappointed.

    To get a good sense of how exciting the novel is check out the heartpounding trailer for the book at http://www.kunati.books/hunting-the-king-peter-clenott/. Or you can view it on YouTube or my web site at www.peterclenott.com. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love medical thrillers in general, but find that individually they often lack (too many of their authors, IMO, are scientists first and writers second). I've heard good things about Palmer and have this one on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a book I'll have to pick up. I've read a few Palmer's before and liked them okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read Michael Palmer, I have to pick one of his books up.

    I reviewed An Absolute Gentleman, thanks again :)
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/2008/04/absolute-gentleman-by-r-m-kinder.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison, could you email me your mailing address? You won The Plain Janes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one to read as well. But it will be my first Michael Palmer book. Hopefully, I will like it!

    ReplyDelete