Saturday, July 07, 2007

Firstlight: Early Inspirational Writings
by Sue Monk Kidd

Published in 2006. 227 pages.


The Secret Life of Bees is one of my favorite books, so when I saw Firstlight, I knew I just had to read it! A compilation mostly of things Kidd wrote for the interfaith, inspirational publication Guideposts, this book is organized into thematic chapters such as "Awareness," "Solitude," and "Letting Go." One of my favorite chapters was "The Sacred Ordinary," where Kidd wrote:

If I am intent on centering my life in the presence of God, then I must understand what I believe about where this presence can be found. Had I limited God's presence to what I perceived as sacred - to holy places and church-sponsoered moments? Had I assumed the material world was more or less empty of God? Had I separated common things from spiritual things, and routine moments from holy moments?

What does a running vacuum cleaner have to do with God? The question seemed important, crucially important. ... God, I realized, is not partial to stained glass."

This book was on my Spring Reading List list, and although I started it during the spring, I didn't finish it by June 21. I read it just pieces at a time, often on early Sunday mornings when I wasn't yet ready to get out of bed, so that I could savor the beauty of the words and contemplate their meaning in my life.

2007.37

No comments:

Post a Comment