A while back I was tagged by meeyauw for the Seven Random Facts Meme. I've posted a couple similar lists on my "regular" blog lately (here and here) so this list will contain only book- or reading-related items.
- I learned to read in the first grade with Dick and Jane.
- My love affair with books started in the second grade, and I won the class competition for most books read during the school year. The prize was a copy of The Best-Loved Doll (which I still have).
- Growing up, I spent hours every summer at the Idaho Falls Public Library participating in their summer reading programs. (Interestingly, their program this summer has the same theme as the one that my kids and I signed up for yesterday at our local library. Apparently, libraries across the U.S. are using that theme! )
- The first book I remember reading that didn't have a happy ending was John Steinbeck's The Red Pony, which I read in my seventh-grade English class. I guess that coming-of-age story was part of my own coming-of-age.
- My younger sister Andrea introduced me to Mary Higgins Clark's suspense novels when I was visiting during a college break. I was so freaked out after reading into the dark of night that I couldn't sleep by myself on the sofa and went upstairs and laid on the bottom of her bed for the rest of the night.
- I read myself to sleep almost every night. I often fall asleep still holding the book.
- When Jelly Bean was a baby, I took some courses at Moorpark College to help keep my sanity. (I struggled with postpartum depression.) In one of the classes, we had to create a slideshow or video that described who we were - and I did a bunch of slides showing me reading at all sorts of times and in all sorts of places, including while driving (not really!) and while changing diapers by having Jelly "hold" the book.