Monday, April 11, 2011

Real Live Boyfriends by E. Lockhart

Subtitled yes, boyfriends, plural. if my life weren't complicated - I wouldn't be Ruby Oliver.
Published in 2010. 224 pages.


I just adore Ruby Oliver! (I previously blogged about the three other books in this series - The Boyfriend List, The Boy Book, and The Treasure Map of Boys - and I recommend that you read those, in order, before you read Real Live Boyfriends.)

The neurotic, hyperverbal Ruby is now a senior at her Seattle prep school. She is in love with Noel - or thinks she is. As part of her college applications, she makes a documentary about love and friendship - and in the meantime learns some uncomfortable truths.

Of the four episodes of Ruby's complicated life, I liked this one the best. I (still) hear my fifteen-year-old daughter in Ruby's voice - which means that Ruby is "real." I feared I would be disappointed with the ending of the book (and, I understand, the series) - but my fear was unfounded. For a cute, quick read with an adorable teenage girl protagonist, I highly recommend the Ruby Oliver novels!

2011.13

No comments:

Post a Comment