Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Meme of Reading Questions - Part 2



Continued from Part 1.

26. Favorite cookbook?
I don't have one, although I do enjoy collecting recipes.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.

28. Favorite reading snack?
Microwave popcorn.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
There are a number of books that I was worried about reading because of the hype, but I can't think on any instance where the hype ruined my reading experience. For example, I ended up thinking that Water for Elephants was as good as everyone had said.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don't know that I really pay attention to what the critics say.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I always try to say something good about the books I review, but I'm also not afraid to express negative opinions.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?

Japanese.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
The Stand by Stephen King.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

35. Favorite poet?
Emily Dickinson.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
25 to 30.

37. How often have you returned a book to the library unread?

Often. (That's probably not surprising given my answer to #36.)

38. Favorite fictional character?
I was tempted to say Edward Cullen from the Twilight books - but I honestly have say Susan Caraway, also known as Stargirl.

39. Favorite fictional villain?
Aaron Stampler in Primal Fear.

40. Books you're most likely to bring on vacation?

Short, light-hearted and/or compelling books.

41. The longest you've gone without reading?

Following graduate school, when I first started working full-time as an auditor at a large CPA firm in Los Angeles, I went four or five months without doing any reading for pleasure.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Not a thing.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?

The Joy Luck Club.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Nights in Rodanthe.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
I'm going to guess about $100.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?

Rarely.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?

If a particular book is going really slowly or is difficult reading for me, then I may stop reading it - but I'll likely plan to return to it at some point in the future.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Not necessarily.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
If I think I'll want to re-read or reference a book again, I'll keep a copy - or sometimes I'll go buy a copy if it was a library book I was reading - but otherwise I'm happy to give books away.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?

I refuse to read The Secret and anything by Glenn Beck.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
I'm drawing a blank on this question.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?

Willow by Julia Hoban.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.

1 comment:

  1. Can you believe that I haven't read THE NOTEBOOK? Shocking...

    ReplyDelete