Monday, December 28, 2009

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

Originally published in 2001.
Audiobook performed by Andy Paris and Carine Montbertrand.


For some reason, I expected this "he said/she said" story to be similar in tone to E. Lockhart's Ruby Oliver books. The first chapter, therefore, was a little disconcerting to me, as I adjusted to the more serious tone. Once I settled in, though, I was hooked!

Flipped is a sweet adolescent love story that also deals with some serious themes. The character Juli reminded me a bit of Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl. I loved her view of the world. I also loved watching Bryce mature.

Wendelin Van Draanen is best known for the Sammy Keyes mysteries for children, none of which I've read. I understand she has also written at least two other young adult novels.

I noticed on IMDb that a movie version of Flipped is scheduled to be released in September 2010.

2009.77

1 comment:

  1. I read this one over the holiday week several years ago and loved it. Cool about the movie!

    ReplyDelete