Twice a year the staff of the Salt Lake County Library display their current book favorites for patrons to read and enjoy. Library patrons rate the "Reader's Choice" nominees they read, and the votes determine a winner.
The Shape of Mercy was the Salt Lake County Library's Reader's Choice winner for July-October 2009 - both county-wide and at my branch. County-wide, the second place pick was a tie between Casting Spells and The School of Essential Ingredients, and the third place was The Lover's Knot. At my branch, the second place pick was The Help, and the third place was The School of Essential Ingredients.
The only one of these "Reader's Choice" picks that I've already read is The School of Essential Ingredients, and I reviewed it here. Have you read any of them?
All the winners going back to 1991 are here. Among the winners that I've read and enjoyed are these:
- Monkeewrench by P.J. Tracy (2004)
- Small Change: The Secret Life of Penny Burford by J. Belinda Yandell (2003) (I posted about this one here.)
- The Wedding Dress by Virginia Ellis (2003)
- The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (2002) (I wrote a little about why I love this book here.)
- The Starlite Drive-in by Marjorie Reynolds (1998)
- Natural Causes by Michael Palmer (1995)
- Dying for Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson (1994)
- Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (1993)
- Loves Music, Loves to Dance by Mary Higgins Clark (1993)