Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Ship Sooner by Mary Sullivan

Published in 2004. 274 pages.


I picked this book up several years ago at a public library surplus sale. I read it this week because I needed another book published in 2004 - preferably one that wasn't too long - for The Countdown Challenge.

I didn't totally love Ship Sooner while I was reading, but as I've thought about in the twenty-four hours or so since I finished it, I've come to appreciate it more. It's not a "comfortable" book - but I think the juxtaposition of a 13-year-old girl who literally hears everything and a town filled with people with secrets is brilliant. The novel is also beautifully written.

In some ways, Ship Sooner reminded me of Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio, which I read with my book club in my pre-book blogging days. There is a Reading Guide for Ship Sooner here.

2009.54

2 comments:

  1. That title speaks for me - I have been expecting a book for days and each day it doesn't show up I scream. Tomorrow I'll scream, "Ship Sooner!"

    I didn't read Icy Sparks. Would you recommend it or Ship Sooner? If I only read one but not both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booklogged: If I were going to read one but not both, I think I'd go with Icy Sparks.

    ReplyDelete