Saturday, August 01, 2009

Age Is Just a Number by Dara Torres
with Elizabeth Weil

Published in 2009. 226 pages.


I enjoyed hearing Dara Torres speak at the recent National PTA Convention, so I decided to read her book. I can't relate to all the details about being an elite swimmer - not even to the concept of being an elite athlete. But I came away from this book with a sense of enthusiasm for pursuing whatever it is that I want to do!

One of the ideas Torres talks about is the "details-matter mind-set." I like this description:

I know it's a weird thing to say, but swimming is sort of like one of those Impressionist paintings made with millions of dots. Sure, a dot is a dot. What's the big deal? But if you care enough to make each dot the exact right size and the exact right color in the exact right place, something amazing occurs. [page 132]

2009.48

No comments:

Post a Comment