Friday, November 07, 2008

Bronte's Book Club by Kristiana Gregory

Published in 2008. 149 pages.


I wanted to love this book. I really did. I had read Jeanette's review, and I thought that both my daughter Sugar Plum (who is 12) and I would enjoy the book. So I picked it up from the library.

Sugar Plum read it first, and she did say that she liked it. When I got to it - in the early morning hours of the recent read-a-thon - maybe I was just too tired, but it just didn't come together in a way that made me really love it.

Some of the things I did love:

  • The fun, colorful cover.

  • The main character Bronte - whose parents named her after Charlotte Bronte, author of Jane Eyre.

  • The choice of the book that Bronte's book club discusses over the course of several meetings - Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell - which was a childhood favorite of mine.

  • The section at the end of book on "How to Start a Book Club," including a recipe for Bronte's Brownies.

2008.62

No comments:

Post a Comment