Saturday, September 20, 2008

Weekly Geeks No. 18



This week’s theme: Catch up on ... something.

Boy, this theme is pertinent! I am behind on my reviews, behind on updating the challenges in my sidebar, not to mention behind on my reading!

I need to get my Fall into Reading list ready for Monday. I've never made a list for the Book Awards Challenge II. And I've not written my "I've Completed the 'In the Pub' Challenge" post.

I'd like to put my "Bookish Blogs I Like to Visit" list into the new Blogger blog list gadget. I need to update my list of sci-fi things for the 42 Challenge. And I'd like to update my "read" list in goodreads to make sure that everything I've read this year is listed and linked to my reviews.

Given that we've only got a little over one-quarter of the year to go, I also need to make a good plan for what challenges I'm actually going to complete and what I should likely abandon now.

Where has the year gone?! Where do I start?


Just thinking out loud here:

The books I've read but still need to review are the following:

  • Anatomy of a Boyfriend

  • Violet on the Runway

  • Eat, Pray, Love

My status in the A~Z Reading Challenge: Of the 52 required reads, I've completed 34 - 15 of the authors and 19 of the titles. That's about 5 books off the necessary pace to complete the challenge by December 31 - and I'm getting down to some of the harder letters.

The authors I have left are F, I, J, N, O, Q, R, U, V, X, and Z. I'm thinking Fforde for F, Jenoff for J, Quindlen for Q, Rehak for R, Unger for U, Voight for V, and Zusak for Z. Does anyone have any suggestions for I, N, O, or X?

The titles I have left are I, M, Q, U, X, Y, and Z. I'm thinking In Her Shoes or Interworld for I, The Mercy Rule or Mermaids in the Basement for M, Zombie Blondes or The Zookeeper's Wife for Z. Does anyone have any suggestions for Q, U, X, or Y?

I wonder if I can complete the eighteen I need for this challenge for Fall into Reading as well.

6 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to your fall reading list and your book awards list.
    Happy catching up week...
    *smiles*
    Kim
    (page after page)
    P.S. what it the new blog list gadget thing? I think I may have missed something exciting??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an alphabetised review directory that might help you out a little: the only title letter I'm missing is 'q' (I have my eye on either The Quiet American or The Queen of Swords) and the author letters I'm missing are U (I'm planning on some Sigrid Unset or Luis Alberto Urrea), X (I recently won a book by Xinran), and Y (I'm waiting for my library card to come in so I can read a book by Banana Yoshimoto).

    I came here via Weekly Geeks, fyi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you had Nemirovsky on your sidebar. That'll work for N. It is surprising how hard it is to find N authors. Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife is another good one. I second Eve on Xinran for X. I plan on reading Sky Burial. Ishiguro's Remains of the Day or Never Let Me Go would be good for I. Maybe a kids book by Scott O'Dell for O? Have you read Island of the Blue Dolphins or the sequel, Zia (which would also work for a Z title). I also enjoyed The Black Pearl by O'Dell.

    For Q titles, Quite a Year for Plums was just okay but short. Undiscovered Country by Enger or Unaccustomed Earth by Lahiri would be good. The Xanadu Adventure is a kids book that I read last year for X. I'm reading A Year Down Yonder (another kids book) for Y.

    I always look to shorter books or kids/YA books to fill in those harder to find ones at the end of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on getting through your list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm super behind, too! I'm so behind that I think I might be behind on being behind.

    ReplyDelete