Friday, September 12, 2008

The Plain Janes
by Cecil Castellucci and Jim Rugg

Published in 2007.
176 pages (according to amazon.com, as the pages are not numbered).

I first heard about the young adult graphic novel The Plain Janes from Dewey, who reviewed it and then sent a copy to me and my daughters. (Thanks again, Dewey!) Sugar Plum (age 12) read the book the same day it arrived, immediately emailed the author because she liked it so much, and claimed our copy as her own. Last month I happened upon the book in Sugar Plum's bedroom and decided it was time for me to read it. I started it late one Friday before bed and finished it the next morning. Like Sugar Plum, I fell in love with the book!

The Plain Janes is a story about art, fear, belonging, being yourself, and making a difference. I think those are topics to which each of us, regardless of age, can relate. The Plain Janes is Castellucci's first graphic novel, but a sequel Janes in Love is due out soon.

I'm new to the world of graphic novels - but I've so enjoyed the ones I've read so far (two volumes of Fashion Kitty, American Born Chinese, and this one). I'm also going to check out some of Castellucci's novels.

2008.50

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty new to graphic novels, too. I've reviewed Persepolis, The Shiniest Jewel, and Too Good To Be Forgotten on my blog....where, by the way, I featured your blog for Weekly Geeks! I picked your blog because we share the same first name.

    ReplyDelete