Saturday, May 03, 2008

April's Reading in Review

Total Books Year-to-Date: 27
(With a goal for the year of 104, I'm seven or eight books behind schedule. That's fewer than I feared, before I did the math, but I'm not sure whether I'm going to be able to make it up.)

    April: 5 books

      The Camel Bookmobile (for Book Buddies)
      Someone Like Summer
      Change of Heart
      Flowers for Algernon
      Speak (for my IRL book club)

    March: 5 books
    February: 7 books
    January: 10 books

Challenges Status:
    Expanding Horizons Challenge - 2/4 (ended April 30, but I'm going to keep going until I finish it; I'm part way through A Thousand Splendid Suns right now, which will be my third book).

    Series Challenge - 2 completed (ends May 31).

    Spring Reading Thing - 5/13 (ends June 19).

    Book Awards Reading Challenge - 8/12 (ends June 30).

    Themed Reading Challenge - 2/4 (ends June 30).

    342,752 Ways to Herd Cats - 0/3 (ends November 30; I haven't yet decided what three books I'm going to read).

    Chunkster Challenge - 1/4 (ends December 20).

    TBR Challenge - 3/12 (ends December 31).

    Young Adult Challenge - 9/12 (ends December 31).

    What's in a Name? - 1/6 (ends December 31).

    In Their Shoes - 1/8 (ends December 31).

    Back to History Challenge - 2/12 (ends December 31; I was trying to finish Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History in March, but I'm still working on it).

    Every Month is a Holiday - 3/12 (ends December 31; I need to finish March's pick, but I've already read November's, so maybe it'll all work out).

    1st in a Series - 0/12 (ends December 31).

    Celebrate the Author - 2/12 (ends December 31; I've skipped March and April, but I'll keep going and see if I can make those up later).

    Printz Award Challenge - 2/6 (ends December 31).

    Graphic Novels Challenge - 2/6 (ends December 31).

    Man Booker Challenge - 0/6 (ends December 31).

    In the Pub - 4/8 (ends December 31).

    Reading Full Circle Challenge - 2 completed (ends December 31).

    Triple 8 (or 888) - 24/56, with four overlaps (ends December 31).

    A~Z Reading Challenge - 23/52 (ends December 31; I was hoping that I'd be able to fit almost everything I read, but I'm starting to get some overlaps on the letters.).

    Suspense & Thriller Challenge - 4/6 for 2008 (challenge continues into 2009).

    Cardathon - 3 completed.

Plans for May:
Ideally I'll read ten books this month, but if I can get at least these seven done, I won't be too disappointed in myself.
  • Windfalls (for Book Buddies)

  • Picture Perfect (for my IRL book club)

  • Don't Know Much About the Universe for Astronomy Day (May's holiday for the Every Month is a Holiday Challenge); I started this one quite a while ago, so it would be nice to finish it.

  • I'd like to finish A Thousand Splendid Suns and Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History within the next few days.

  • My church women's group book club is reading The Kite Runner, which I read quite a while ago. But I am hosting the meeting, so I thought I'd make a point of seeing the film version and maybe picking a clip or two to show. Since I'm also currently reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, it'll be nice to be able to make a recommendation to the group about that one.

  • The GoodReads YA Book Club is reading Uglies this month. I read it last year and loved it. I'm not going to re-read it, but I plan to join in the discussion. I might also finally get to Extras - the fourth book in the "trilogy." (Extras would count for Celebrate the Author, since Scott Westerfeld's birthday is in May.) I'd like to read The Book Thief too, which is what the group read in April but I just didn't get time to read.

2 comments:

  1. Since you already keep a list of your monthly reading anyway, I have the world's easiest challenge for you! You can read about it here, and sign up here - but it starts Monday. If you decide to join in, I'd appreciate your mentioning that you heard about it from me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah someone who reads books at a similar pace to me - I was starting to feel inadequate! I do need to add some more challenges to my list though... *grin*

    ReplyDelete