Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

Published in 2000. 405 pages.


Stephanie suggested that my low expectations of Jodi Picoult's The Tenth Circle lead to my overall satisfaction with the book. (My review and her comment are here.) Unfortunately, I think it was the reverse with Plain Truth: I had heard so much good about it that I ended up being disappointed.

This novel still had Picoult's successful character development with various viewpoints to tell the story. The storyline, as those she always chooses, was not a particularly easy one to consider - in this case the murder of a newborn baby in an Amish community - but yet compelling. As a fan of mysteries, I thought I would enjoy that aspect of this novel too. And yet I can't say that Plain Truth was one of my favorites of the seven Picoult novels I have now read.

As a whodunit and a courtroom drama, it had a few holes. But more significant, I think, was that it wasn't as emotionally engaging for me as her other novels have been.

As I was reading Plain Truth, my husband looked at the cover and said, "That doesn't look like a Jodi Picoult book." This cover is definitely different from those of the others I've read. Perhaps that should have been a sign that the book would be different too.

2007.42

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard too much about this, but Stephanie recently praised it on my Keeping Faith review. One of the things that draws me most to her books is the emotions they bring out me in, and that is part of the reason why The Tenth Circle didn't do it for me. I couldn't really relate to the characters and didn't feel emotionally attached to any of them. Perhaps because I'm not a parent. I'm going to read your review right...now. :)

    ReplyDelete