Thursday, April 19, 2007

Guilty Pleasures

I can't remember where I first heard about Booking Through Thursday, but today I'm finally getting around to playing along!




'Fess Up!

Okay, there must be something you read that's a guilty pleasure . . . a Harlequin romance stashed under the mattress. A cheesy sci-fi book tucked in the back of the freezer. A celebrity biography, a phoned-in Western . . . something that you'd really rather not be spotted reading. Even just a novel if you're a die-hard non-fiction fan. Come on, confess. We won't hold it against you!


I consider much of what I read to be "guilty pleasure" or "escapism" reading. Enjoying a few minutes - or hours - of another "reality" is a relaxing, fun diversion! While I like to think that I still maintain some literary standards in my choices, among the authors whose work I adore without necessarily viewing it as great literature are the following (in alphabetical order):

Carol Higgins Clark
Mary Higgins Clark
Janet Evanovich
Lisa Gardner
Tess Gerritsen
Jan Karon
Sophie Kinsella
Parnell Hall
Michael Palmer
James Patterson
Nicholas Sparks

5 comments:

  1. I read one Sparks and from what I understand they're all pretty simliar with someone dying by the end.

    I used to read MHC too but I started forgetting which ones I read. They all seemed the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! A great list of authors! I think the only one I haven't heard of is Parnell Hall. And I don't think I've read anything by Michael Palmer, although at least I'm familiar with his name. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand MHC has a new book recently released or soon to be released. I've read all hers and I'm sure I'll get my hands on this last one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. booklogged: MHC's latest is I Heard That Song Before, and i picked it up at the library a few days ago. sometime in the next three weeks i'll be reading it and letting you know what i thought.

    chris: i know what you mean about them all being the same - there is definitely a MHC "look and feel". i always get the latest when it first comes out and read it, simply enjoying being in the moment, and then i am never able to remember enough about it to be able to talk about it with anyone! :o) (that's why it's a "guilty pleasure"!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "another reality"

    A perfect description of what a good book will do for you. I love to read half of the authors you listed for that very reason, if only for a brief moment to escape to another reality.

    ReplyDelete