Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Baby Merchant by Kit Reed

Published in 2006. 334 pages.


I picked this book up off the library's "New Arrivals" shelf because of the interesting cover and the quote comparing it to The Handmaid's Tale (which I absolutely loved). Here are a few of my mixed feelings about the book:

  • Because of the comparison to The Handmaid's Tale, I expected - and wanted - The Baby Merchant to focus more on a societal critique of the "near future". Instead, I found it to focus more on the psychology of the main characters.
  • The characters were interesting, and I did want to find out what happens to them.
  • The story wasn't compelling enough to keep me entertained through my holiday break. (I actually started this one before Next , but wanting a thoroughly entertaining read, I put it aside.) It also wasn't compelling enough to keep me awake after my long days at the office last week; many nights I only got a page or two read before I fell asleep.
  • Reed has an interesting writing style, one which at times really protrayed the emotions of the characters and at other times was just distracting.
2007.3

No comments:

Post a Comment